Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lovingly wishing you every nice thing.


Let's jump into a few birthday cards:


This card is sparkly--the roses are touched here and there with a fine clear glitter, and the leaves and the speckles in the background are actually an iridescent gold. So lovely.

Inside:


I'm not sure who this was sent to, but it was hand-signed by several doctors and possibly nurses from a medical practice.

Many, many of these cards feature cut-out windows in the front that reveal part of the picture on the inside. I love it! Here's one:


Opened, you can see the windows:

The images are actually a little discolored in the spots where the windows are; you can especially see this in the top one. The back of the card reads "Had this ready in May and forgot to mail it in Bible School preparation rush." It's signed by a family I'm familiar with and since my grandmother's birthday is in May, I'm assuming it was sent to her, as well as this one:

This card is printed on a stiff, translucent parchment paper. Inside:

I left the signature intact to show the pretty handwriting of my great-aunt Ruth--her husband John was my grandma's older brother.

Here's a unique and really pretty card with an unusual feature--it folds at the bottom.


Here it is opened--you can see the scallops of the fence at the bottom.

I believe this was sent to my great-aunt Carrie (as opposed to my great-great aunt Carrie--two very different ladies) by a former neighbor. The note on the back reads: "Dear Carrie: Thank you for your greeting received yesterday. I was not as thoughtful as you. So I will send this even if it is late. We picked some beans this morning, now Papa is shelling them. I want to can baked beans. I like to have something handy when I get home late. Wishing you the best of everything, Mary."

One more beauty:


This one has also been very delicately touched with glitter--a very dark silver that you may be able to see as dark lines in the petals of the yellow flower in particular.

Inside is a handwriting I instantly recognize...my grandmother's! There's no indication of who this was sent to, though.


1 comment:

Liz Logan said...

Thank you so much for sharing these! I brought home seven boxes of ephemera from my Dear Great Aunt Lou's estate. Its been so much fun going through them. She had scrapbooks full of greeting cards. I'm thinking about selling them on Etsy someday when I get organized.