Wednesday, July 9, 2008

God and stuff.


Many--most--of the cards I'll be sharing here will have a religious touch, even if it's just a printed Bible verse on the inside.


This might be a nice place to tell y'all a little something about the family members who received and sent these cards.

My grandparents are Ira and Martha (Weaver) Martin. My grandfather grew up in Wooster, Ohio, and my grandmother grew up in Columbiana, Ohio. Somehow they each ended up with many of the cards that were sent to my Weaver great-grandparents and my Martin great-grandparents, as well as cards that were sent to one or two of the childless great-aunts and -uncles in each family.

The Weavers and the Martins were both Mennonite families. The Martins were much more conservative--my grandfather found his upbringing to be repressively conservative, in fact, and I think he was relieved to grow up, marry my grandmother, and become part of the progressive Mennonite church. Which was still conservative by modern standards, but at least he could drive his beloved cars.

Anyway, Christian faith was a huge part of life for all of my family, and still is for most of us. I was actually quite charmed by some of the religious cards, as I'd never realized there was so much creativity and art turned toward that market back in the 1940s and 50s.

Changing the subject a little, I've been asked if it's okay to copy images from this blog. I admit, I was hoping people would want to do that--for their own personal use, of course.
So please feel free.

1 comment:

itsallrosi said...

thanks so much for sharing these cards!