Saturday, July 12, 2008

Christmas wishes.


I have so many Christmas cards that I could share one a day for the next several months and not even get to any other type of card! I guess Christmas cards are the sort of thing you particularly save--I know I have a big stack tucked away somewhere.


Is there anything cozier than a winter scene on a Christmas card? Look at that darling little yellow house. The card unfolds to reveal a long letter to my great-great aunt Carrie, penciled on the blank side, dated 1958.

I like the soft creams and tans in this picture, and the snowflakes around the deckle edges. The branches of the trees are lightly lined with silver glitter and gold ink. It looks like it was sent by an attorney or some other business service provider.

The psychedelic swirls on this card tell me that mind-altering drugs have infiltrated the greeting card illustrator world, which puts it in the late 1960s-early 1970s, wouldn't you agree? This card and the first one I showed might as well be from different centuries. This is the kind of card I remember getting in the mail when I was little! It was sent to my grandmother by her Secret Santa, probably from the church's women's group.

No comments: